Baxter's Restaurant History
Our lounge is named after John Baxter, the original owner of the property which the Rutland Country Club now occupies. In the early days the Club was called the Rutland Golf Club. It was located at Clement Woods, in the southwest part of Rutland, just off Clement Road. The golf course had just three holes, and sponsored its first recorded competitive event in 1897, a putting contest. It was held on October 1, 1897 with 42 participants.
In 1901, Rutland Country Club was established as a corporation under the laws of the State of Vermont, and Articles of Association were filed with the Secretary of State as well as the Rutland City Clerk. In 1902 a group of members, led by John Woodfin, Club President and James Button, Club Treasurer, purchased a 382 acre farm from John Baxter for $4,648.00. That farm became the Rutland Country Club. Architect George Low designed the original nine hole layout, completing his work in 1902. In 1927 the famed architectural firm of Stiles & Van Kleek supervised the construction of an additional nine holes, resulting in the venerable golf course we enjoy today.
The Baxter farmhouse (Circa 1800) was used as the Clubhouse. A store was operated by the general manager and was stocked with sundries, clothes, food, as well as golf equipment. Products from the farm including milk, hay and apples were also sold as part of the Club operation. In addition, members horses were stabled, groomed and pastured on the property. Some of the buildings are still being used as the maintenance faility and our famous "Caddy Shack". The original Clubhouse was in continuous operation until it was razed in 1988 to make way for the facility you are enjoying today.
Gift Certificates available